18.6.09

Lenny Kravitz: celibate since 2005

Daily Telepgraph, 16 Jun 2009:
"... last year, he let it be known that he had been celibate for the previous three years, and had resolved to remain so until married.



[He described to me how everyone is striving for love. 'Because it’s the nicest feeling there is. We all seem to be striving for it ... Like fish swimming upstream.’ ... Discussing a new song, Come On and Love Me, he told me it was about 'God and sex and guilt’, and explained what he meant with detailed reference to how the Ten Commandments were sent to quell the children of Israel’s confusion, and what Christ’s death means when it comes to following God’s laws and how human nature betrays us. He added that he believed it was wrong to have sex without being married. 'Obviously,’ he conceded.]

... 'It took years to get it right. To actually do it, and really try to walk the walk and not just talk it. It’s not like it’s not important – I think sex and intimacy and all that is very important. It’s just that I’m going to do it with my wife.’ He laughs. 'And not everybody else.’

This summer, not long after he turns 45, it will be four years. The final trigger came after a night in the Carlyle Hotel in New York... 'I was doing my normal thing and I was with somebody, and I remember waking up in the morning thinking, “What am I doing?” ... And that morning I was just talking to God, as I do, and I said, “You got to help me to stop this. I just really want to stop this.” And that was the day that it changed.’

... Can you put your finger on what, at that moment, seemed upsetting about what you had been doing?

'I knew it was not consistent with my beliefs. So that’s hypocritical, and I don’t want to be a hypocrite. And I could just feel the emptiness… it didn’t feel good. The feeling afterwards. Just that empty sort of… weird space. And I’d had enough.’

You knew there and then that this was a decision you would stick with?

'Yeah. It’s very hard. For some periods of time it’s easy, and then it’s really hard. It goes back and forth. It’s not hard just walking through life, and you see women, and I admire them – I love being around women. But if you’re seeing someone, you’ve got to explain, “Well, this is what I’m doing in life – so that’s not going to be part of it.”’

When I ask him if he is in a relationship he says, 'Right now I’m just kind of sailing and watching and waiting and trying to be patient. There are times when I’m patient and there’s times when I’m, “Come on, Lord, bring this for me…”

Sem comentários: