21.1.17

Going Trad - day 5: Lex Credendi

Although I started this 7-post series with Lex Orandi, my actual starting point was Lex Credendi.

One of the first casualties of bergoglism was the 'hermeneutics of continuity in reform'. Let's face it: if Pope Francis is right, Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul II, the CCC and the previous magisterium are wrong. There is no rhetorical escape from the contradiction between SC29, CCC1650, FC84, Holy Scripture and what Pope Francis is promoting.

Once it became clear that the 'hermeneutics of rupture' was the only choice left on the menu, I had to decide which side of the broken chain to hang on to.

What does the Church teaches? What has the Church always taught? What did the Saints and the Fathers taught?

Ludwig Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, and the Catholic Encyclopedia helped me at this stage as did the old(er) Catechisms and the Council of Trent. (In fact when people asked me if I had read the latest Pope Francis' broadside I replied: "I'm a little behind on my reading, I'm still going through Session 6 of the Council of Trent"...)

The 'doctrinal change' series of posts more or less sums it up: Doctrine cannot change, otherwise the Church is neither indefectible, nor One; nor can development of doctrine lead to contradiction (Vatican Council I); Popes have erred in matters of Faith; St. Thomas Aquinas teaches that the believer "must not give assent to a prelate who preaches against the faith"; Tradition is the rule of faith when members of the magisterium teach error.



Sem comentários: